Saturday, October 29, 2011

Prayer

"It is the habit of faith, when she is praying, to use pleas. Mere prayer sayers, who do not pray at all, forget to argue with God; but those who prevail bring forth their reasons and their strong arguments" 
Charles H. Spurgeon


This week I’ve heard a lot about prayer.  I have heard people say they were praying and later learned that there was a lot more gossip going on than prayer. 

How much good does double minded prayer actually do?  How much harm does it do? 

My prayers are probably a lot different than most people.  I go to a quiet place inside myself.  I sit there, stilling my mind, listening…not with my ears, but with my heart.  Once I hear the still small voice in my heart, there’s no deviation. 

Before I go to the quiet place, I prepare by writing my gratitude list and my goals list. I read my vision statement.  This helps quiet my mind of any anxiety that’s floating around up there.

I find it interesting how trivialized prayer has become, how impersonal and how many people hedge their bets so they can take credit if there’s a positive outcome and distance themselves from anything less.  Ball teams pray to win, rappers praise God that their filthy lyrics are now number one on the charts, and Christians pray without the faith of even a mustard seed…and it seems the less faith, the louder and more words are used. 

I have been accused of being a “private” person.  Many people seem to feel that this is a bad thing…mostly because they like to be in my business.  I admit freely that I am a private person, although I am part of a huge community of wonderful people that I love with all my heart.  The part of myself, that part that listens with the heart and cannot be dissuaded, will always be private. The minute I share that part and others begin their commentary, it loses its power.  Mary kept secrets in her heart until it was time to reveal them…so do I. 

I believe that our lives and our words are prayers as powerful as those spoken in church.  One word can shake someone’s faith.  I would rather meet with silence than negativity or double mindedness.
In the meantime, I’ll be in my quiet place, listening and knowing!  


"Only those who see the invisible can attempt the impossible."
Dick Eastman

"Prayer requires more of the heart than the tongue."
Adam Clarke –


No comments:

Post a Comment