Saturday, September 17, 2011

A World of My Imagination...

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attraction.”  Albert Einstein 

Until I was five, I lived on a farm where my playmates were dogs, chickens (chickens are bullies and not nice friends, by the way) and imaginary friends.  When we moved to town, we lived on a quiet street without children and Kindergarten wasn’t required, so I played with dogs, no more chickens (thank goodness) and BOOKS!

At the age of seven, when I found my classmates to be more like the chickens than the dogs, I began to write my own stories.  My sisters, being neither literary types nor child psychologists, laughed until they cried at my tragic little story, but I still liked it.  The little girl I wrote about was my new imaginary friend and I was truly sad when she met her untimely demise at the end… “All except she was already dead.” is now a famous quote in my family.

In fourth grade I was blessed with the most wonderful teacher in the world.  When I wrote she had me read to the class.  She called my mother and told her my writing was incredible.  Under the warm wing of her praise, I hatched a million imaginary friends and their stories.

I wrote tragic poetry in my teens.  I won an essay contest in middle school.  Writing has always been my passion, but I never saw it as an option.  When I got my degree, it was in something sensible…elementary education.  When I got my master’s degree it was in marriage and family therapy.  I thought any of my future writing would be serious and scholarly, but there are no imaginary friends there…just facts and numbers and names.  I began to miss my imaginary friends while I was developing real ones.

When I wrote The Wednesday Boy, I got reacquainted with imaginary friends.  I fell in love with Allie and Allison.  I even love Allie’s terrible cousin, India, for a whole different set of reasons.  As they told their stories through me and my imagination, I knew that I had arrived home. 

Last night I pushed the button to release my new book into the world.  My heart and home were filled with support, love, creativity and imagination.  Not one of the friends that attended my launch party was imaginary and there wasn’t one chicken among them!

                                                                                 Jamie Paolinetti

Recipe for a Chicken Dinner
This recipe is only 300 calories…IMAGINE THAT!!!

1 tablespoon olive oil                                  1 jar (12 oz) homestyle chicken gravy
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic              1 bag mixed veggies (broccoli/carrots/cauli)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts       ½ C halved cherry tomatoes
¼ teaspoon salt                                            ¼ teaspoon pepper

1.    In 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
2.     In the same skillet, mix gravy, frozen veggies, and tomatoes.  Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are crispy tender.
3.    Return chicken to skillet.  Cover and simmer about 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment