Saturday, July 23, 2011

Don't Blame Me!

“Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame.”
                                     ~Erica Jong

Sorry that my blog is a little late but it really isn’t my fault!  My son is here from out of town and I’ve been really busy getting ready to go back to school.  Actually, if my parents had only taught me a better sense of time management, I’m sure I would have gotten everything prepared ahead of time.  Now that I’m thinking about it, this blog wasn’t even my idea!  People kept after me to write and telling me how much they enjoyed my teaching.  Back to my parents, they raised me to be such a people pleaser that I didn’t even have a choice but to write this blog and now to worry about whether it’s on time or not!

I wanted to make quiche this morning for breakfast but the store was sold out of eggs and I didn’t want to go to another store and I had my heart set of quiche.  I don’t know why stores are so irresponsible!  What’s the point of being a responsible person if all you have to deal with are irresponsible people?  Being the only responsible one just doubles my work load while everyone else just skips around piling more work on me! 

The black hole of shame spirals away from energy and toward lethargy.  It keeps us helpless and hopeless in a world that’s ripe with opportunities and choices.  Slavery will never end until we take off the chains of blame. 

I saw a commercial this week where a woman with dark eye circles was blaming her mother for them.  Okay, you have to have a lot of time on your hands to sit around blaming your parents for your dark eye circles!  Of course, the fact is that we can pass the blame on through the generations all the way to the Garden of Eden and, the ultimate scapegoat, Satan!  Parents and Satan get a lot of press for our own choices.

Those of us who are not busy blaming others are usually preoccupied with blaming ourselves.  There’s magic to self-blame in that others immediately comfort us instead of holding us accountable.  Self-blame can keep us from making any progress in our lives for years to come!

There’s a difference in blame and accountability.  Accountability is action, energy and change.  Accountability is discovering our authentic selves and marching toward our goals.  Accountability takes no prisoners.  Accountability keeps us free!  Blame is inaction, energy sucking, and stuck.  Blame is never getting to know ourselves or others in a real way and when we don’t reach our goals, it isn’t our fault!    Blame takes so many prisoners that it becomes bogged down as a prison camp, where we become the biggest prisoner of all.  It turns free people into slaves.

“A man may fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”
                                   ~J. Paul Getty

Here’s a recipe for Sour Cream Enchiladas but don’t blame me if they aren’t any good!
It makes 12 if people actually show up…but don’t count on it!
Sauce:
3 T butter or margarine                                 dash of tobacco sauce
2 T flour                                                          1 med. Onion diced
2 cans tomatoes                                              2-3 tsp. chili powder
Salt                                                                  garlic powder of garlic salt

Saute onions in butter.  Add flour.  Put remaining ingredients in the blender and liquefy.  Add to onions and simmer until it thickens.

Tortillas (corn)                                                            green onions
Colby cheese                                                   sour cream

Fry corn tortillas quickly in hot oil.  Dip in sauce.  Place about 1 T sour cream and 1 t chopped green onions on tortillas and roll.  Place in baking dish.  Smother with sauce.  Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.

                       

1 comment:

  1. You totally crack me up. I can hear your voice and I'm instantly uplifted and, in this case, laughing out loud. Thanks for tackling such a serious subject in a not-so-serious way!!!

    Sending smiles,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete