Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hoarding

Do you want to live a healthier more productive life?  Do you want your dreams to come true?

I’ve been waiting and worrying.  I’ve known for some time that I was at risk for being turned in to the television show, “Hoarders.”  I’m just kidding but I am admitting that my garage has vague hoarding issues with which I am uncomfortable.  I don’t know why the garage has the tendency to hoard because I am a well put together individual and should have a garage that complies with that standard.  After thinking long and hard, I’ve come to the following conclusions about my garage:
First) my garage doesn’t have enough time.  Just holding on to all that stuff takes time and effort.  Every THING demands upkeep and some attention.  It’s a catch 22.  The more hoarding, the less time there is for cleaning out.
Second) my garage is taking care of others at its own expense.  Being a giver and allowing all the children, grandchildren and deceased relatives to take up space is a lovely thought but it crowds out any opportunities for realistic growth.  How can anything new and wonderful enter your life if there’s no room for it?
Third) my garage believes in “someday.”  If “someday” the family needs an item (say, twenty years from now) and the garage provides it, think how significant that garage will feel.  I’m not sure why the family might need Vogue magazines from 1972 but, you never know!
Fourth) my garage may have gone through scarcity or had boards attached that actually went through the Great Depression.  Keeping things safe and secure is an important job even though holding on to “stuff” probably isn’t going to feed you if people are jumping from the top floors on Wall Street.  As a matter of fact, it will be harder to load up the wagons and head to California if you have too many things to pack!
Fifth) and most importantly, my garage may have trust issues.  Whether it believes in God, a Higher Power or even just itself, there has to be faith that there is more in this abundant universe and that it will be provided.  Hoarding is a little bit like taking a deep breath and then refusing to let it out because there may not be oxygen enough for the next intake.  Whether it’s holding on to things or grudges, it’s okay to let them go.  Everything needed will be provided!
You’ll be happy to know that I’ve talked my garage out of the first truckload of items that are going to Goodwill, where they will benefit the lives of other garages everywhere!

 “There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world, it’s the beginning of a new life.” – Unknown

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one. It's exceptionally subtle and doesn't condemn people. The personification of the garage makes it.. easy to digest without having to think "oh my, this is talking directly about me hording emotions." When people feel condemned people tend to reject everything they're told.

    ReplyDelete