Friday, August 5, 2011

SHHHHHHHH!

"Be still and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10
Every morning I write my gratitude list, my goals list, I read my vision statement and then I meditate.  Mediation is an amazing experience where I can be still and know.

It's usually dark when I meditate because it's so early in the morning.  I sit in the recliner and take three deep cleansing breaths, in through my nose and out through my mouth.  I focus on that still small voice inside.

"You've forgotten something," the still small voice says.

"Shhhhh!  I'm busy being quiet," I say in my grown up voice.

"But I know it's really important," the still small voice continues to whine.

"It doesn't matter!  For right now I need to listen," I insist.

"Then listen to me because I think the dogs need water.  What kind of person are you that you just sit here in the dark and let the dogs thirst to death?"

"Shhhhh!" I remind myself and the voice, that is no longer still or small.

"I hate to bring this up now, but you really screwed up that presentation.  I thought you were better prepared!"  Now the still small voice is just being hateful.

"You're right.  I really did mess that up!  What was I thinking even putting myself in that situation?"  I concede.

"Yeah, remember when you were fourteen and nobody came to your birthday party?  You were kind of a loser even then, hu?"

Why can't we just shut up?  The chatter in our heads never seems to stop! And yet, in order to KNOW anything, we must be still.  We are constantly plugged in to some device or some other person and, even while we sleep, we have noises buzzing around us.  The more information we are privy to the less we really know; ironic, isn't it?

At what point do we prioritize the stillness, the chance to tap in to the mind and heart of God?  The opportunities to know are endless, but we resist it and then wrestle with it and then completely fight it like the silence is our enemy.

"Whatcha doin' now?" the voice asks.

I picture still water where I can see my reflection.

"Hey, remember that guy that cut you off in traffic?  That was rude, hu?"

"The reflection momentarily gets fuzzy and then comes back into focus.

"You're being kinda rude now," the voice points out.

The reflection becomes very clear and still and the voice gets quieter and quieter until it is the softest whisper and then becomes very still.

And the answer I am seeking becomes perfectly clear!

Meditation is over.

"Hey, you're going to do this again tomorrow, right?" the voice asks.

"Yes, I am," I answer.

"Okay, well, I'll be here!  I have a lot to tell you...important stuff!"

Sigh.

"So, see ya tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow."

"For those who wish to climb the mountain of spiritual awareness, the path is selfless work.  For those who have attained the summit of union with the Lord, the path is stillness and peace."   Bhagavad Gita


                                                       Thai Chicken Salad
2 chicken breasts (cooked and cut into strips)
1 medium red onion, chopped
3 scallions, sliced (including tops)
3 slices ginger (minced)
1/4 C cilantro (coriander leaves) chopped
Toasted sesame seeds (for final garnish)

Dressing:
1/4 C olive oil
2 T hot chili oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 C rice vinegar
3 T tamari
2 dried red peppers (or to taste)

In a bowl, mix together the chicken, onions, scallions, ginger and cilantro.  In a separate container, prepare the vinaigrette by combining the oils and garlic.  Next, whisk in the vinegar and tamari.  Add the peppers.  This dressing will get hotter the longer it stands.  Toss the chicken salad with the vinaigrette.  Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.

Makes enough for 4 salads.
                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment